Monday, May 14, 2012

The Art of Running


“In my opinion, EVERY athlete – irrespective of sport or discipline – has the potential to enhance his or her ability by adopting a consistent yoga practice. I’d go so far as to say that if you’re not practicing yoga, you’re competing at a disadvantage and missing an opportunity to enhance peak performance.” Rich Roll

I Agree with Rich (on many topics of ‘health/nutrition’). My question is “Should EVERY yogi/yogini – no matter what their style/practice – practice the art of RUNNING?” 

It’s all in the mind (not in the body). I trust and believe in MY body to run, but I am not sure I have faith/patience in my MIND to keep me going… Ahhh, and we come full circle, back to the Yoga (mind, body, breathe & spirit).

Well, here I am… Embarking, yet again, on unfamiliar terrain. Pounding the pavement (literally)- I ran like a Yogini. I had to go deep inside, focus on my ujjayi pranayama breathing, and even busted out a mantra in the end; to get me through Day One, 45 min’s, of paved running.

With that said, I did hike about 10k the day before (Mother’s Day) on the Kings Hwy; a “trail” of sand, stone and lava rock. It was an incredible day/hike; but ended in sunburn, sore muscles, and blisters on my toes. No excuses, though… I woke early (before my boys were awake) snuck out of the house and ran. Thank god for my sister (a ‘real runner’) who gave me a pair of her non-cotton running socks! Those things are worth every $15.00/pair. No blisters (at least no more).

My goal is to run ‘as much as possible’ for ‘as long as possible’ for the next 3 weeks. How much is ‘as much as possible’? I am hoping at least 4-5 days/week. How long is ‘as long as possible’? Well, at least 45mins (or longer). Why for only 3 weeks? I’m going to call it my Run Like a Yogini Challenge; my 3 week running immersion. I figure this way I can ‘test’ different terrains (pavement, dirt, & sand) and see what I survive best. 

I am an ‘all or nothing’ girl, and if I don’t immerse myself completely, I’ll find every excuse possible to stay ‘comfortable’ in my yoga practice. Do Yoga and Running really create the ultimate union/balance???

*Before I started my early am run, I did the 5 Pre-Run Poses from the Lululemon Blog (http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/five-pre-run-poses/) to integrate my yoga practice into my running routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment